Bonia is a reputable brand in the fashion and accessories industry. It is among the leading brands that sell high-quality handbags and purses known across Asia. Many do not know this, but Bonia is a Malaysia home-grown brand.
More than 40 years in the market
Not many fashion brands can have the type of reputation like Bonia. Started out in 1974, it has been among the leading luxury names. Bonia has constantly reinvented itself to remain relevant and contemporary for its customers.
Sign of the times
Because of its large pool of customers, it continues to focus on its principles to deliver products that are Modern, Elegant and Contemporary. Today, Bonia can be seen at department stores and their bags carried by customers from all walks of life.
From Malaysia to the world
What started out as a humble business operation have since expanded to other parts of the world. Bonia sells not only handbags but footwear and other accessories for both men and women.
From Malaysia, it has grown to other countries such as Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and Japan, to name a few. It now has over 1,200 outlets and close to 200 boutiques globally.
What do our experts say?
Bonia is undeniably one of the top brands in the fashion market segment. Venturing into this market can be profitable as it gives you a good headstart.
- Brand Reputation – Very strong and stable. It is among the top in the world.
- Initial Capital – This is on the high side with about RM145,000 as capital. But you will need more for inventory.
- Return on Investment – Stable and steady and you should have enough to cover expenses for the first 2 years.
- Location – Shopping malls mostly. Standalone shop-lots might be challenging. Hence, your capital depends largely on rental.
- Customer Segment – Mostly female, working adults. Bonia offers products for males as well.
- Franchise Fees – RM20,000
- Royalty Fees – 2%
The Final Word
Generally, Bonia is not an expensive franchise to start. However, finding a suitable location might be challenging. This is because most shopping malls would have a long waiting list for tenants where the visible locations would have been taken.
On top of that, you need to have sufficient funds for inventory as the cost of goods is quite high and in the premium price point. You will need to commit to the middle to long term to run this business and to experience any form of good profitability.